Institute of Informatics is one of more than 50 scientific and research institutes of Slovak Academy of Sciences. The scope of activities of Institute of Informatics includes scientific and research work in informatics, information technology, control theory, robotics and artificial intelligence. The research is focused into following research directions:
- Parallel and distributed information processing;
- Numerical methods and algorithms;
- Speech processing;
- Design and testing of digital systems and their technological realizations;
- Discrete processes modelling and control;
- Nano-and micro-structures and their realization with the use of electron beam lithography;
- Robotics (kinematical structures, animation), mobile systems, sensors and effectors.
The Institute of Informatics also deals with development of experimental laboratory equipment and printed circuit boards.
The research of an Intelligent and knowledge oriented Technologies group is oriented on knowledge modelling, ontologies, semantic processing of information resources, multiagent systems, processing of information resources in Slovak language, semantic and service oriented architectures, knowledge bases and organizational memories, reasoning and inference.
II SAS is involved in many national and international projects. The most important among them are:
- Commius: Community-based Interoperability Utility for SMEs, (2008-2010) EU 7FP RTD project FP7-213876
- SEMCO-WS: Semantic composition of Web and Grid Services, (02/2007-12/2009) Slovak National Project APVV-0391-06
- K-Wf Grid: EU 6FP RTD IST project: Knowledge-based Workflow System for Grid Applications (2004-2007) FP6-511385
- Pellucid: A New Platform for Organisationally Mobile Public Employees - (2002-2004) EU 5FP RTD project IST-2001-34519
- RAPORT: Research and development of a knowledge based system to support workflow management in organizations with administrative processes, (2005-2007) Slovak National Project APVT-51-024604
- NATO project: Flood Forecasting on Grid Infrastructures (2004-2006) EST.EAP.CLG 981032
- EGEE - EU 6FP RI (III) project: Enabling Grids for E-science (2004-2006) INFSO-RI-508833